Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hop Bottom was organized in 1936 at the home of Mrs. Mary Zick in Kingsley, under the care of the Rev. Carl F. Wyppich of Scranton. The next year a church building and parsonage were purchased from the Universalist Church for $1500. There were initially over 30 members of the congregation. The family names that were instrumental in pioneering the fellowship include Borove, Erat, Klim, Kovalefsky, Kozlowski, Kropa, Micks, Mikolon, Steuber, and Zick.
The Church's ministers have been:
Rev. Carl F. Wyppich, 1938-1941
Rev. Theodore Mikolon, 1942-1943
Rev. Edward C. Kolbe,1944-1949
Rev. Andrew Maken, 1949-1951
Rev. Carl A. Schuette, 1952-1955
Rev. August A. Scholz, 1956-1959
Rev. Edward K. Jeschke, 1959-1969
Rev. John Junke, 1969-1971
Rev. Kenneth Gombert, 1972-1984
Rev. Mark E. Schulz, 1984-1986
Rev. Edward Brockwell, 1987-1989
Rev Kim E. Bode, 1989-present The 25th Anniversary of Rev Bode's ministry was held November 9, 2014!
The church facility has undergone changes over the years. The steeple was removed by 1940. In 1963, a bottom floor was added under the entire building. In 1974 there was a major renovation, including the lowering of the ceiling which necessitated the removal of the stained glass windows. The belfry was lowered, but the same bell rings from it today. In 1999 a handicapped ramp was installed making both levels of our building completely handicapped accessible. In 2012 another renovation to the bottom level included a new ceiling and lights, bathrooms, and kitchen; and with a new floor in 2015.